Politics & Government Quiet since Aug 13 Updated Aug 13, 2026
TPS and Haitian New York
The Supreme Court ruled 6 to 3 in Mullin v. Doe on June 25, 2026 that federal courts cannot review the Homeland Security secretary's decision to end Temporary Protected Status, clearing the Trump administration to terminate the Haiti designation that dates to the 2010 earthquake. The status has been the legal footing for tens of thousands of Haitian New Yorkers concentrated in Brooklyn's Little Haiti and southeast Queens. The community, elected officials, and immigration lawyers are now working out who loses status, when, and what happens to their jobs, leases, and kids.
The story so far
-
Aug 13, 2026 Latest
Brooklyn Council Member Farah Louis and volunteers canvassed hair salons and hardware stores in Little Caribbean to reach roughly 40,000 Haitian TPS holders in the city now navigating life without legal status, Spectrum News NY1 reported.
-
Aug 11, 2026
Mayor Mamdani said he personally appealed to President Trump to restore Haitian TPS as the city began firing municipal employees whose work authorization had lapsed. In Brooklyn's Little Caribbean, restaurant owner Wesly Simon said sales fell 40 to 60% after losing half his kitchen staff to the TPS cutoff, Documented reported.
-
Aug 9, 2026
Mayor Mamdani said New York City will begin firing Haitian municipal employees whose work permits expired after the Supreme Court let Haitian TPS end, while urging President Trump to grant deferred status instead, the Haitian Times reported.
-
Aug 6, 2026
A Haitian restaurant on Nostrand Avenue in Brooklyn laid off eight of its 13 workers after the Supreme Court cleared the end of Haitian TPS, and nurses warned of a coming healthcare-worker shortage, ABC7 reported.
-
Aug 1, 2026
Mayor Mamdani met with Haitian community leaders as TPS protections ended nationwide for roughly 350,000 Haitians and 6,000 Syrians, and Spectrum News NY1 reported the crackdown is threatening Haitian home health aides and the elderly New Yorkers who depend on them.
-
Jul 28, 2026
Temporary Protected Status expired nationwide for Haitians on July 27, and Mayor Mamdani swore in Edwin Raymond, a former NYPD lieutenant, as the city's first Haitian sheriff the same day. New York Immigration Coalition CEO Murad Awawdeh said 40,000 New Yorkers lost their protections and work authorization, while a letter from 19 state attorneys general put the statewide TPS count at 56,800.
-
Jul 2, 2026
In Little Haiti, residents and advocates focused on what comes next for the roughly 200,000 Haitians nationally who held TPS, and for the Brooklyn families among them.
-
Jul 1, 2026
Queens Borough President Donovan Richards and Attorney General Letitia James rallied in Kew Gardens; QNS put the number of Haitian immigrants losing status in the city at roughly 5,400 under the revocation at issue.
-
Jun 26, 2026
Documented traced what the ruling permits: the administration can now wind down TPS for hundreds of thousands of people nationally, with Haitians among the largest affected groups.
-
Jun 25, 2026
The Supreme Court issued its ruling. THE CITY reported that it put the status of roughly 40,000 Haitian New Yorkers in question.
-
Nov 28, 2025
Noem's final termination notice, published November 28, 2025, set Haitian TPS to end February 3, 2026 at 11:59 p.m. local time and put the covered population at approximately 352,959 people. Federal district courts in Washington, D.C. and New York blocked the terminations for Haiti and Syria before the Supreme Court took the case as Mullin v. Doe on March 16, 2026.
-
Feb 24, 2025
The second Trump administration began unwinding Haitian TPS: Secretary Kristi Noem partially vacated the Biden extension on February 24, 2025, cutting the 18-month period to 12 months, then published a termination notice on July 1, 2025, according to DHS's own November 2025 notice recounting the sequence.
-
Jul 1, 2024
Mayorkas again extended and redesignated Haiti for TPS, from August 4, 2024 through February 3, 2026, citing gang control of more than 80 percent of metropolitan Port-au-Prince. DHS put existing beneficiaries at about 214,000 and the newly eligible at about 309,000.
-
Aug 3, 2021
Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas issued a new 18-month TPS designation for Haiti, effective August 3, 2021 through February 3, 2023, citing political crisis, gang control of territory, and economic collapse. DHS estimated roughly 155,000 people were eligible.
-
Apr 11, 2019
Judge William F. Kuntz II of the Eastern District of New York issued a preliminary injunction in Saget v. Trump blocking the termination of Haitian TPS, effective immediately and pending a decision on the merits. The status survived the first Trump term under court order.
-
Nov 20, 2017
The first Trump administration moved to end Haitian TPS: the acting homeland security secretary determined on November 20, 2017 that the earthquake conditions no longer held, setting termination for July 22, 2019. The Federal Register notice put the covered population at roughly 58,550 Haitians.
-
Jan 21, 2010
Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano designated Haiti for Temporary Protected Status after the January 12 earthquake, effective January 21, 2010 for 18 months. DHS estimated 100,000 to 200,000 Haitian nationals in the U.S. could be eligible.
Follow this story as it moves.
The brief follows it every morning: when this storyline moves, the timeline above grows the same day. One short read, free, with the rest of New York explained alongside.
Free, every morning. Unsubscribe in one click.






